June 25, 2019
Falling fire storm ash poses health warning
LAKE ELSINORE – (INT) – There’s another concern as the Holy Fire blankets western Riverside and San Bernardino counties with smoke and ash.

Health officials are warning that ash from burned homes and their contents contain potentially toxic materials. If inhaled or touched with wet skin, the ash will likely have metals, chemicals, and potentially asbestos. Inhaled ash may be irritating to the nose, throat and lungs.

If there’s ash on your skin, wash it off immediately. Some wet ash can cause chemical burns.

“Just because it’s burned up doesn’t make it safe,” said Dr. Cameron Kaiser, Riverside County public health officer. “Ash can be toxic even in small quantities depending on where it came from.”

Officials said residents should not begin the clean-up while ash is still falling and the situation is unpredictable. Wait until conditions improve.
Story Date: August 14, 2018
Canyon Crest Towne Centre
Color Cube Productions
East Hills Community Church