Subscribe to INT Podcast
|February 20, 2019|
Newsom rebukes Trump's border 'emergency', pulls troops
SACRAMENTO – (INT) - Governor Gavin Newsom announced Monday that he has signed a General Order rescinding previous authorization for California National Guard operations at the U.S.-Mexico border.
It allowed California National Guard personnel to perform border duties traditionally undertaken by the federal government.
“The Border ‘emergency’ is a manufactured crisis. And California will not be part of this political theater. Which is why I have given the National Guard a new mission. They will refocus on the real threats facing our state,” said Governor Newsom. “This is our answer to the White House: No more division, xenophobia or nativism.”
Currently, approximately 360 members of the California National Guard are deployed at the U.S.-Mexico border.
In his State of the Union speech earlier this month, Trump blamed illegal immigration for straining the country’s economy and resources. Trump also said it has increased crime, despite evidence that immigrants commit crime at lower rates than native-born Americans.
The Pentagon last week announced that it would send 3,750 troops to the border in coming months, where they are expected to install 150 miles of concertina wire and aid Customs and Border Protection, according to the Pentagon.
“The lawless state of our southern border is a threat to the safety, security, and financial well being of all Americans,” Trump said. “We have a moral duty to create an immigration system that protects the lives and jobs of our citizens.”
Story Date: February 12, 2019