Subscribe to INT Podcast
|February 27, 2021|
Gun sales spike in California
Reacting to the COVID-19 pandemic and racial unrest, Americans are arming themselves at unprecedented rates.
While California ranks third in overall gun sales, it ranks near the bottom in per capita sales when adjusting for its large population.
Using data from the FBI, U.S. Census Bureau, CDC and other sources, SafeHome reported a record 23 million guns were sold in the U.S. in 2020, a 60% increase from 2019.
The unprecedented spike in 2020 can be attributed to the worst pandemic since 1918, and social and political unrest, not seen since the 1960’s and the Civil War, respectively. It also marks the continuation of a 20-year trend of more guns in America.
Key Findings in California:
• California ranks in the top 15 for both total gun sales and per capita sales in 2020.
• 2020 Total Sales: 548,598(3rd)
• 2020 Per Capita Sales: 0.127(15th)
• 2000-2020 Total Sales Change: 64%(46th)
• 2000-2020 Per Capita Sales Change: 15% (48th)
Story Date: February 26, 2021